We all have something we cannot live without and would take with us anywhere in the world. This can be a family pet, heirloom or motor vehicle or motor cycle. There is a reason cars are often referred to as “babies”.

Whilst often being an essential form of transport, they are often more than that. Whether it be comfort, stability or style a vehicle often is a reflection of its owner and it only makes sense to relocate this along with the family and household goods when relocating abroad.

There are a few important factors to look at when relocating a vehicle overseas which most people are completely unaware of. For starters, obtain an insurance quotation at the destination location and look into the rule and regulations for vehicle registration. If you need additional help, you can simply ask the team at Palmers Relocations.

Another is the notion of “specialists” in relocating vehicles or RORO services (Roll on, roll off). Unfortunately it is not that simple and can lead to many unforeseen customs charges. It is best to utilise a moving company with a bonded / customs approved depot. This way you know your vehicle is safe, secure and accessible.

The most popular destinations for relocating vehicles internationally are New Zealand, Ireland and the United Kingdom, although in most cases vehicles can be transported nearly anywhere in the world.

Just like sending vehicles domestically, there is a certain criteria that need to be followed in order to insure the safe arrival of your vehicle no matter what the destination may be. The following information must be provided at customs on entry to your new destination.

  1. Proof of Registration (last 2 years for NZ)
  2. Certificate of Insurance (last 2 years for NZ)
  3. Bill of Sale (showing date of purchase & price)
  4. Valid Passport & Visa

If you don’t have all 4 pieces of above documentation be prepared to say goodbye to your vehicle as customs don’t mess around when it comes to formal documentation.

Let’s look in detail at a few popular destinations and the criteria for relocating vehicles—


Vehicles brought into Ireland under transfer of Residency rules are not subject to tax. You just need to consider the insurance and whether or not it suits your needs and will be practical when back in Ireland.

Just make sure you have no finance on the vehicle owing, owned the vehicle in your name for at least 6 months and have the registration / insurance papers also in your name to avoid Vehicle Registration Tax.

5 steps when importing vehicles in to Ireland

  • Pay Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT)
  • Get new vehicle registration plates
  • Get motor insurance
  • Pay motor tax
  • Your Vehicle must pass the NCT (National Car Test) before it can be driven on Irish roads.


At Palmers Relocations, we currently relocate in excess of 100 vehicles into Ireland every year. We are experienced and provide all costs up front allowing you to adequately budget for your car transportation.

New Zealand

Vehicles can be imported into NZ GST free if the clients meet the following criteria

  • Have owned and used the vehicle for 12 months
  • Cannot sell or dispose the vehicle for 24 months
  • NZ residents / citizens must have lived outside NZ for 21 months

When vehicles get to 7 years of age, they start to fail frontal impact standards. We cannot tell our customers if their vehicle will comply with NZ standards or not. Automobile Association of NZ can determine if the vehicle meets current standards. Their number is +64 99 66 88 00.

NZ citizens can import their vehicles despite the age as they can apply for a ‘dispensation’. Only returning Kiwi’s can apply for this. We encourage returning Kiwis to contact the Automobile Association.


United Kingdom

Duty-free entry is permitted if the vehicle has been possessed and used for at least 6 months outside the European Union before it is imported and will not be sold or otherwise disposed of for 12 months after the date of importation.

Additional documentation for the UK required are as follows

  • Form C104A
  • Declaration form C384 ( if less than 6 months old )
  • Utility bills / bank statements that prove place of residence was outside the European Union and exceeded 12 months.


For further information, you can contact Kieran of Palmers Relocations at Kieran@palmersrelocations.com.au or call our office on (02) 96 42 05 55.